Friday, July 8, 2011

A funny thing happened on the way to my MS degree..

For those that have been able to catch up to my last 2 posts, you will have seen that I am planning on going back to get my Masters in Information Assurance. Since July 1st, I have had an interesting roller coaster of my education plan. Quick Recap:

My dream job was doing digital forensics and profiling online predators. I felt that my best option would be a Ph.D and joining the FBI and partaking in the innocent images program, or the Behavioral Science Unit. After talking with a few agents, the reality of following that path became clear, I was becoming to old to do it, so I feel back to my other love, Digital Forensics and Incident Response. By changing from the Ph.D track to the the MS track a lot of stress left my life..

On July 5th, I received notification that a company in my top 10 preferred employers have opened positions, doing DFIR. This company also employs the authors of the first two IT Security books I read, that was not a college required reading textbook. The opportunities that this company offers is INCREDIBLE!

So I have cleaned up my resume, talked to my wife about a possible relocation and I am rolling the dice. The worst thing that will happen is they say no.. the best thing that will happen is I am relocating, working with incredible talent, doing what I am passionate about...

If this doesn't happen, it means 2 years in a masters program, working to build my skill sets and push a strong DFIR position in my current company, and then re-applying in 2-3 years.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment