Friday, July 15, 2011

Foundations in Security

I have taken a few days off from writing this because I have received word back on the application that I submitted, while I had a good feeling that I was not going to meet all the requirements I still felt I needed to try. The company I applied with is one that I would consider a leader in the industry, it doesn’t hurt that 3 of the people I would give almost anything to work for or with was currently with the company when I applied.
I have looked over the rejection letter and determined what I needed to work on to improve my chances at getting to work with this company, or if things happen the way they usually do a company that one of these three idols work for.
The next two years will include the following training:
  • Masters of Science in Information Assurance
  • Perl Scripting
  • Unix Administration 
  • Windows Administration
  • Experience with forensic image collection and analysis (Helix, SIFT)
  • Backtrack
  • Public Speaking abilities
  • Deeper understanding of network protocols
  • SANS 408/508 Certification


I will also be asking those InfoSec Guru’s that I follow for other advice on what Skill sets that they feel are important in the field. I will include that here, in hopes that other future forensicators find it useful. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ken,

    Could you help to advise some online Master of Information Assurance programs?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Duyvh, that is not something I have looked into. I realized my last year of undergrad I was not a fan of online classes. Since I feel a big part of understanding digital forensics is being able to utilize the tools in a physical environment I chose to only look at local universities.

    From people I have talked to, and the research I have done, I think http://www.sans.edu/ would be a good option. Of course some of the major US universities offer online programs. Iowa State University, which I doing a hybrid offers both online and onsite learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ken,

    Hope to keep contact with you on the way to Information Security.

    I don't live in United State, so now the online programs are good option for me.

    ReplyDelete